Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Week 32

image credit: Leo Reynolds

Less than 8 weeks to go until D day!! I swear time is speeding up rather than slowing down. I've handed in the letter from my OB to HR stating that I'm due on June 18th.. I'm not sure how long I'll work, I have sick days available so I'll wait and see how I feel closer to the big day.

I saw Dr. Potts (my OB) today and he's pleased with everything. I'm measuring 'exactly where I should be', I gained another 1.5 lbs since I saw him two weeks ago which was good news considering I've been having some tummy troubles (apparently coffee and dairy products are no longer my friends - thankfully he thinks it's just a temporary thing). The only thing that made him go hmmmm was the baby's position.

There was a resident doctor in to see me before Dr. Potts and I asked him if he could tell me how the wee man is lying. He poked and prodded and looked confused before telling me that it seemed like he was lying sideways but that he wasn't entirely sure because that doesn't usually happen with first pregnancies. After we finished he went out to debrief Dr. Potts and I heard Dr. P tell him that it was unlikely that the baby would be laying sideways considering this is my first pregnancy and it would be VERY UNUSUAL if he was. He then came in to check on me and asked me to lay down again so he could try to determine where the baby is. Sure enough, the little bum is spread out across my belly instead of pointing down (or up for that matter).

No worries though, he has lots of time to flip still and Dr. P is fairly confident he will. If he doesn't by 37 weeks he'll send me for an ultrasound to determine whether a C-section needs to be scheduled. I'm crossing my fingers for summersaults, there are certainly worse things than C-sections but I'd rather avoid the whole surgery thang if at all possible.

What else is new? I'm drinking lots of fluids, trying to get out for regular walks (not trying hard enough though) and haven't started swimming yet. I really DO want to, I just haven't gotten around to it. I think I need to pick a day and time and schedule in my swim, otherwise it's just not going to happen.

I've been sewing baby bits which is fun! Finally made a few giant receiving blankets that I'm sure will come in handy this summer: a double sided one and a single sided one. I had hoped the single sided might work well for swaddling but I think it might be too big.

This past weekend we had a few big events to attend (an 80th birthday party for my Grandma and a baby shower for my cousin's little girl) and the Ninja pulled his shy guy routine at both events. It's funny, he flips, kicks and 'surfaces' (pushes up against my skin) for Mike and I all the time but when I'm in a loud place and lots of people touch my belly he tends to get shy and hide. I don't mind though, I like that he saves his shows for his Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment